Top 10 Best Permanent Fabric Markers – Reviews and Buying Guide 2018 (Updated)
- 10 Best Permanent Fabric Markers Review:
- 1. Crafts 4 ALL Fabric Markers Pens Permanent 12 Pack Dual Tip
- 2. Fabric Markers with Permanent Brilliant Colors
- 3. Fabric Markers Pens Permanent Color Art Markers 24 SET
- 4. Fabric Markers Permanent 12 Pack premium quality bright dual tip
- 5. Colore Premium Fabric Markers -Non Toxic
- 6. Crayola Fine Line Fabric Markers
- 7. Permanent Fabric Markers – 10 fine-tip pens
- 8. Best Fabric Markers -Perfect for Writing on Clothes
- 9. Sharpie 1779005 Stained Fabric Markers
- 10. Crayola 588215 Fabric Marker Classpack
- Buying Guide: Things to Consider While Buying a Fabric Marker
- How to Use Fabric Marker
- How to Use Fabric Markers on T-shirts
The simplest means of transforming an ordinary or plain looking clothing material or any item into an appealing and exciting one is to paint or draw a colorful pattern or design on it. You can achieve this easily by using permanent fabric markers. They offer you a convenient means of adding your creativity to your clothes and accessories. With the best permanent fabric markers in your hands, you possess the freedom to utilize and display your imagination on any fabric. They are versatile, durable and convenient.
Making use of fabric markers to sketch or draw patterns and designs on the variety of fabrics can be included as a fun activity at different occasions such as family get-togethers, different parties, and kid shows. Thus, your event will not be short of fun when you have the best fabric pens available and some fabrics to play with.
Top 3 Best Fabric marker: Editor’s Pick
|Fabric Marker||Fabric Marker Model||Editor's Rating||Price|
|Crafts 4 ALL Fabric Markers Pens Permanent 12 Pack|
|Fabric Markers with Permanent Brilliant Colors|
|Fabric Markers Permanent 12 Pack premium quality|
On a personal level, fabric markers offer you the thrill of producing captivating designs on fabrics no matter your level of creativity. The success or otherwise of your project depends on your ability to pick the best fabric marker. However, choosing the top-rated fabric markers is not always easy, considering that there are many brands in the marker. To save you the time and energy needed to test different brands, this fabric marker reviews will reveal the 10 best rated fabric markers that you can choose from to deliver your creative ideas in an amazing way. It also details what to look out for fabric markers for cotton and other fabrics.
10 Best Permanent Fabric Markers Review:
1. Crafts 4 ALL Fabric Markers Pens Permanent 12 Pack Dual Tip
The versatility of this fabric marker means that you can deliver your imagination on various fabrics in a fun way. It has dual tips which gives you lot of options and flexibility, allowing you to choose either a fine or broad tip while creating designs and patterns. Hence, it enables you deliver designs that you would have thought impossible in a simple manner. No matter the type of project you are handling, these fabric markers are one of the best permanent fabric markers you can find.
They work perfectly on a variety of surfaces including, different types of fabrics, handbags, canvas, baby wears, sneakers, bibs, placemats, and wall art, among others. Each pack contains 36 permanent markers of 12 colors, which means that you have a variety of colors to choose from. The feel of this marker is good and they are comfortable to hold and work with.
Furthermore, when you use this marker for your work, you will find that they are less messy than fabric paint, unique and outstanding. The deep and rich pigment used to make this fabric marker delivers a consistent high color retention capacity. Thus, no matter the number of times you wash these fabrics, your designs will not fade. It is very safe for children because the ingredients are non-toxic.
- Dual tips for flexibility when working on broad or fine lines
- Excellent color retention, design or drawing does not fade after many washes
- Safe for kids use because it’s non-toxic
- Package comes with thirty-six markers in twelve colors.
2. Fabric Markers with Permanent Brilliant Colors
Never miss the opportunity to provide great fun for your guests or group by allowing them to draw their designs during any occasion. Creative Joy Permanent Fabric Markers allows you to achieve this with ease and excellence. Each pack contains a dozen premium quality markers that can be used to deliver beautiful designs on any type of fabric.
This means that you can deliver your imaginations on anything from sneakers to bibs, aprons, jackets and many more. The colors in each pack are black, red, purple, mint green, warm grey, lemon yellow, brilliant blue, deep violet, orange, sky blue, green and brown. Its dual tip means you can draw or add any detail to the fine point or fill designs using the thick point. This makes is the second choice fabric marker.
Whether you are a beginner or a professional, you will get the best out of this fabric marker. Furthermore, it is made with non-toxic ingredients and meets many standard, thus it is safe for kids. To guarantee that the Creative Joy Permanent fabric marker is excellent, the company offers a full money back guarantee in case you are not satisfied with the product. These fabric markers allow you to express yourself and for your creativity to shine.
- Dual tip offers you the versatility
- Money back guarantee
- Perfect for beginners and professionals alike
- Has a dozen colors
- Non toxic, hence kids can use
3. Fabric Markers Pens Permanent Color Art Markers 24 SET
Your option among the best fabric pens is a fabric marker that is long-lasting and makes your designs look unique. Each set contains 24 professional quality fabric pens that come in a variety of beautiful earth, fluorescent and rainbow colors. The fact that the fabric pen uses rich pigments made from German fabric ink means that designs produced with this fabric pen lasts longer and looks unique.
It also allows you to be versatile, because its fine tip is perfect for outlining, sketching, decorating, doodling, underlining, thick writing, professional level calligraphic writing and many other DIY designs on fabrics. No matter your level of experience, this fabric pen is perfect for you because it does not get messy like fabric paints. The deep and rich pigment used to make this fabric marker delivers a consistent high color retention capacity.
Thus, no matter the number of times you wash these fabrics, your designs will not fade. It is very safe for children because the ingredients are non-toxic. They work perfectly on a variety of surfaces including, different types of fabrics, handbags, canvas, baby wears, sneakers, bibs, placemats, and wall art, among others. Despite its many interesting features, the price is reasonable.
- Contains 24 different colors
- Fine tips for precision calligraphy, graffiti, etc
- Rich pigments which enables excellent color retention, design or drawing does not fade after many washes
- Comes with canvas to test the colors
- Price is fair
- Safe for kids use because it’s non-toxic
4. Fabric Markers Permanent 12 Pack premium quality bright dual tip
The versatility of this fabric marker means that you can deliver your imagination on various fabrics in a fun way. It has dual tips which gives you lot of options and flexibility, allowing you to choose either a fine or broad tip while creating designs and patterns. Hence, it enables you deliver designs that you would have thought impossible in a simple manner. Each pack contains 12 colors, which means that you have a variety of colors to choose from.
Furthermore, when you use this marker for your work, you will find that they are less messy than fabric paint, unique and outstanding. The deep and rich pigment used to make this fabric marker delivers a consistent high color retention capacity. Thus, no matter the number of times you wash these fabrics, your designs will not fade. It is very safe for children because the ingredients are non-toxic. This model is best for T-shirts and you can use it to personalize T-shirts, sketch your designs, make unique aprons for schools, different parties or summer camp, and create customized bibs and onesies for the baby shower. As a matter of fact, the fun possibilities you can produce with this fabric pen are endless.
- Retains color and design for a long time
- Have versatile dual tips
- Is suitable for most fabrics
- Pack contains 12 colors
- Safe for kids because it is non-toxic
5. Colore Premium Fabric Markers -Non Toxic
The unique designs produced by Colore Premium Fabric Markers makes you fall in live with it. These permanent markers have fine tips which are efficient on most fabrics. Best choice for cotton, each pack contains 20 strong pigment coloring pens. Furthermore, the Colore Premium Fabric Markers are colorfast, which means you will not get those annoying slow ink run. This means that it produces color evenly, thereby removing the need for you to put on another coating in your patterns and artwork.
Also, your final designs or artwork will be vibrant and outstanding because it is a professional quality marker. Some of the rich colors contained in the Colore Premium Fabric Markers pack are red, blue, orange, yellow, black, and green. If your friends or family members love painting or art, these markers are ideal gifts.
There are several things that you can use this fabric pen to design art and graffiti on, including jeans, different types and color of fabrics, canvas, purses, bags and sneakers. As a matter of fact, any material or item that can take the colors of this fabric marker is game. It is suitable for both beginners and professional users.
- Its tip produces thick lines and enables you to easily pick colors and produce professional quality designs
- Your designs retains it colors for a very long time even after washing owing to its strong color retention
- Each pack has twenty markers.
6. Crayola Fine Line Fabric Markers
The Crayola Fine Line Fabric Marker is perfect when you are handling small projects or just starting out as a designer or painter. Each pack contains 10 markers, which have both fine and think tips that offer you the versatility to deliver outstanding artwork. Apart from this, the 10-pack fabric marker from Crayola is part of this fabric marker review because the colors found inside are exactly as they are in the description and it does not also bleed on any fabric or material you are designing on.
The Crayola fabric marker is also suitable for kids because they are non-toxic. Thus, you can get this fabric pen as a gift for your children or grandchildren to boost their creativity. If you just starting out as a painter or designer, this fabric pen will enable you to produce awesome and satisfying designs and artwork.
- Each pack comes with ten color fabric markers
- The colors produced by these fabric markers are bold and bright making it efficient on both dark and light fabrics
- It is easy to use
- Safe for children because it is non-toxic.
7. Permanent Fabric Markers – 10 fine-tip pens
With this fabric marker which is among the best fabric pens, you can now add an extra dimension to your clothes, T-shirts, backpack, sneakers, kitchen apron, baseball cap or other materials. Make them stand out by creating unique and captivating designs on them using this excellent fabric marker. Each pack contains thirteen marker colors, which means that you have enough colors to create anything you can imagine.
Furthermore, this marker has dual tips (chisel and fine tips), which offers you the versatility to design like a professional. With the fine tip, you can outline patterns, draw, sketch graffiti and include any small detail, while the chisel tip enables you to fill in color on your designs. Whether you wash the fabric with hand or with machines, your designs will remain intact for a very long time. Furthermore, this fabric pen is safe for children because they are non-toxic and its permanent ink formula means that the bleed is minimal.
The fabric marker comes with a free eBook titled: “Science of Colors” and artist quality sewing paintbrushes. To show their eco-friendly side, the fabric maker comes in 100 percent recyclable tubes. The company is so sure that you will like this fabric marker, which is why they offer a full refund or replacement if you do not like the fabric pen.
- Has a dual tip that offers versatility
- Comes with 13 colors
- Have a minimal bleed
- Non-toxic, making it suitable for children
- Comes in eco-friendly, recyclable tubes
- Money back guarantee
8. Best Fabric Markers -Perfect for Writing on Clothes
The bullet style tip and other excellent features to this fabric marker make its best quality fabric markers for cotton. With its bullet style tip, you can precisely control for thin or thick line writing or coloring, which makes your work smooth. The ink of this fabric marker is made from non-toxic and high quality materials.
It dries very fast and you can wash the designs with a machine over and over again and it will still retain its original color. You will also like the fact that these markers are non-toxic, which means they are safe for kids to use. With its fresh and vibrant colors, you will find joy in creating designs with these markers on any of your fabrics.
Furthermore, it comes with 24 fabric markers, including colors such as neon, black, red, purple, blue, yellow, pink, and purple. It produces excellent results on different types of fabrics such as polyester, T-shirts, denim and cotton. Therefore, whether you are doodling, designing, coloring art and many more, these fabric markers are perfect.
- Dries quickly and anything you draw or paint with it can be washed with machine
- Can perfectly draw thick or thin lines
- Contains 24 fabric markers
- Gives you versatility for doodling, coloring, writing and other activities
- It is perfect for designing different types of fabrics including cotton, polyester, denim and T-shirts.
- Non-toxic, making it safe for children
9. Sharpie 1779005 Stained Fabric Markers
Sharpie, a trusted producer of top quality maker gives us the next level fabric markers for t shirts, giving you another excellent option for delivering your ideas of your T-shirts and other fabrics such as denim, cotton, canvas and almost any other materials.
Its brush tip is broad, allowing it to write thick designs and its pigments are heavy so that the designs you expend energy to create do not fade easily. It comes in eight different colors – red, orange, pink, green, purple, yellow, blue and black. The designs and drawings you create will be outstanding and long-lasting. While some fabric markers require you to iron the designs or sketches after drawing to prevent it from washing out, with this fabric marker, you need not do any of that. All you need to do is to wait for the color in your design to dry before you try to add another drawing or another color.
- It has a broad tip which enables thick writing
• The ink does not fade no matter how many times you wash the item
• Each pack contains 8 fabric markers
10. Crayola 588215 Fabric Marker Classpack
You will also like the fact that these Crayola markers are non-toxic, which means they are safe for kids to use. With its fresh and vibrant colors, you will find joy in creating designs with these markers on any of your fabrics. It comes in eight different colors – teal, red, lavender, gray, pink, black, brown and white. The designs and drawings you create will be outstanding and long-lasting. While some fabric markers require you to iron the designs or sketches after drawing to prevent it from washing out, with this fabric marker, you need not do any of that. All you need to do is to wait for the color in your design to dry before you try to add another drawing or another color. The tips are not too thin, which can be tiring and not too thick, to allow you to create detailed designs.
The tips are nice and smooth which makes it nice for writing and it contains lots of ink, so don’t worry about running out of ink when undertaking your project. Its colors are bright and bold, lasting for a longer time no matter how many times you wash the fabric. Furthermore, since each pack has 8 of each color, you have fabric markers to last you a long time. However, it is better to allow each color to get dry completely before writing or coloring, because the bold colors probably bleed into one another.
- The colors last for a long time
- Perfect for kids because it is non-toxic
- The tips are smooth
- Has lots of ink in each marker
- Has eight bright colors
- Each box contains 80 markers: each color has 10 markers
Buying Guide: Things to Consider While Buying a Fabric Marker
Fabric markers come in several sizes, colors, and numbers. Also, there are many good ones in the market and you may not know what to look out for if you are a beginner. Even for professionals, sometimes, they may not get exactly what they want, forcing them to start looking for a new one. However, if you are unsure about the fabric marker you want to purchase, it is not advisable to settle for one that will not give you the desired result. You can avoid this frustration by knowing exactly what to look for in a fabric marker before buying one.
It is always best to heck if the fabric marker you are buying can retain the original color after washing the fabric several times. This is one of the most important features to look out for in a fabric marker. It can be very depressing if your graffiti or designs fade away after a few washes because the quality of the fabric marker is poor. The best fabric markers for cotton as well as other materials are fade-proof and you can simply test this by reading the description or carrying out a simple test.
This is another important feature to look out for while purchasing a fabric marker for your projects. Fabric markers that are made with bright pigmented ink are more likely to have the ability to retain the original color in designs and drawings you will create. Look at the label very well and read the ink description. Also, carry out in-depth research online to determine the best ink for the project you intend to carry out. Never go for colors that will fade or get lighter after washing the fabric a few times.
There is no way a marker that is among the best fabric marker is going to bleed. This is not only annoying; it can frustrate your work because it may ruin your designs or drawing. When colors bleed into each other while drawing, they create a mess and it is even worse when it bleeds to the under the surface you are designing. To prevent this from happening, it is best to check for fabric markers that do not bleed when you are working. It is common to see it on the label as “non-bleeding or minimal bleed”.
There is no one who will intentionally want to harm his/her kids. This is why you should always go for non-toxic fabric markers. It does not matter if you are the one using the marker or giving it as a gift to your child, do not compromise on safety. This is because you or your kids may develop health challenges in future that are related to exposure to harmful materials. While it is true that most of the best fabric pens on the market are non-toxic and safe for kids to use, you may still find some that are not. No matter the other features it possesses, it is best to ignore them for the safety of your family.
The above are not the only things to consider when buying a fabric marker. Other important features to consider include the size and quality of the tip, whether it has one or dual tips and your budget for the fabric pen.
How to Use Fabric Marker
To start drawing or designing with fabric marker, you need a masking tape, iron, stencils and press cloth. However, you first of all have to prepare the fabric you want to design on by washing and pressing it so as to remove any dust or chemical and allow it to dry properly. Next, test the piece of fabric to ensure that the paint will stay on the fabric after painting. Allow the paint to dry before you continue with your project. After you are sure that the fabric marker and the fabric are compatible, lay out the fabric on a smooth work surface and ensure that the edges of the fabric are held in place while you work by using masking tapes to hold it in place.
Before you start using the fabric marker, shake it well and inspect the tip to see if it has a plastic protector you need to clip off. Go ahead to create the designs you want using stencils, freehand or painting on the fabric. After you have finished designing on the fabric, leave it for 3-5 days to dry. When it is completely dry, use your iron after setting the temperature according to the fabric used. Next, lay a press cloth over the design and move the iron evenly over the design for 10-15 seconds. Finally, wash the fabric in cool or warm water and hang it out to dry. Your beautiful design is ready to be worn.
How to Use Fabric Markers on T-shirts
With fabric markers, you can write the names of loved ones or make designs during a special occasion on your T-shirt. Here are the what you need: a T-shirt, pencil, newspaper or cardboard, masking tape or stencils, fabric markers, iron and freeze paper or a clothes dryer.
- The first thing you need to do is draw the design of a paper or use a computer to create the design and print it out. It is good to decide beforehand the colors you will use for different words and indicate it clearly on the design.
- Next, spread the T-shirt on a flat, firm surface ensuring that the part you want to paint it is facing you. Then, insert a newspaper or cardboard between the layers of the T-shirt to prevent the marker from bleeding over to the other side of the T-shirt while painting.
- Place the printed or hand drawn design under the T-shirt and trace the design with a pencil
- Place the masking tape on the edge of the T-shirt.
- Draw out the design with a fabric marker by following the design that you placed under the T-shirt.
- Leave the painting to dry. Then remove any masking tape, newspaper/cardboard before you set the color with heat.
- Heat the iron according to the required fabric temperature and place a freezer paper on top of the design. Move the iron over the design for 3-4 minutes. Alternatively, you can use a cloth dryer to dry the design for about 30 minutes.
- Wash with cold water and dry with air or machine
Note that it is better to use fabric markers with light-colored T-shirts and metallic ones for dark colored T-shirts.
Frequently Asked Questions About Fabric Markers
1. Do fabric markers come out in the wash?
Majority of fabric markers retain their color after several washes, but will eventually fade over time. That said, however, you can preserve the design by washing your fabrics inside out to reduce scuffing. Use gentle soaps not the ones that are said to remove markings or dirt from clothes.
2. How do you heat set fabric markers?
It is important to heat set fabric marker designs to stop it from fading. To do this, you need an ironing board, iron and appropriate sheet of paper. To heat set fabric markers, follow the following steps:
Turn the inside of the fabric and place it on the ironing board
Set the iron accordingly and allow it to heat up
Put the sheet of paper on the design and iron it for about 4 minutes, ensuring that you iron all areas of the design
Remove the paper and leave the fabric to cool
Turn the fabric right side out
3. Do Crayola fabric markers wash out?
Crayola fabric markers are designed to be permanent on fabric and hence do not wash out because they are not designed to do so.
4. How do you get permanent marker out of clothes?
There are many ways you can get permanent marker out your clothes.
- Funny enough, hairspray can remove permanent stains from clothing. First of all, use water to moisten the stain and blot it away using a paper towel sprayed with non-oily hairspray. As you blot the stain away, you will see the marker stain on the paper.
- Rubbing alcohol is also effective in removing marker stains. Put the stain on a paper towel. Dip a small towel in rubbing alcohol and dab on the stain. As you do that, you should see the ink transferring to the paper towel under the stain. When the stain has soaked the paper towel, put a new one until all the stain is absorbed. After the stain is removed, wash the cloth with a washing machine.
- Milk is a great stain remover. Soak the stained area of the cloth in milk. After the milk has turned color and significantly changed it, squeeze it out and soak it again in new milk and repeat it until all the stain has been removed.
Picking the best permanent fabric marker should not be a tough task for you now because this fabric marker review has revealed details of the best fabric markers as well as what to look out for when you want to buy a fabric marker. The fabric markers that we have discussed here are options that you should give serious consideration to when you are looking to buy a fabric marker. That said, others may still appeal to you.
However, it is important to keep in mind that any fabric marker you will choose will depend on what you need the markers for, if you are getting it for kids, the type of fabrics you will work with as well as the type of design you need to make. No matter what your requirements are, be rest assured that you will always get a fabric marker that is perfect for you.